On Saturday October 9, we’ll join Red Oak Permaculture at the Collingswood Farmer’s Market, and we are super excited about it. Come by to chat with Red Oak’s Josh Wells about ecological landscaping, mushroom growing, and composting – and choose from an excellent selection of native plants.
You can check out the list of plants we’re planning to have on hand below. We curated this selection with fall color, winter interest, and Red Oak favorites in mind. All plants will be 1-gallon and bigger, rather than our usual quarts.
All cultivars were chosen for their high rankings in Mt. Cuba Trials and other scientific studies that assess cultivars for wildlife value and growth habits.
We can’t wait to see you in October!
- Saturday, October 9 8am – 12pm
- Look for the Red Oak Permaculture tent
- No preorders this time around
- Credit card accepted
The Plant List
- Pink Muhly Grass – Muhlenbergia capillaris
- Switchgrass – Panicum virgatum
- Little Blue Stem ‘Standing Ovation’ – Schizachyrium s.
Asters + Goldenrod
- Aromatic aster ‘October Skies’- Symphyotrichum oblongifolium
- New England Aster – Aster novae-angliae ‘Purple Dome’ (High performing cultivar in Mt. Cuba trials)
- Blue-Stemmed Goldenrod – Solidago caesia
- Showy Goldenrod ‘Golden Fleece’ – Solidago sphacelata Golden Fleece
- Blue Wood Aster
- Swamp Milkweed – Asclepias incarnata
- Purple Milkweed (rare find!) – Asclepias purpurascens
- Purple Coneflower – Echinacea purpurea Pica Bella (Top performing echinacea in trials)
- Prairie Coneflower – Ratibida pinnata
- Joe Pye Weed – Eutrochium purpureum
- Rudbeckia fulgida
Shade Garden Favorites
- Wild Stonecrop- Sedum ternatum
- Foam flower – Tiarella cordifolia
- Christmas Fern – Polystichum acrostichoides
- Marginal Wood Fern – Dryopteris marginalis
- Royal Fern – Osmunda regalis var. spectabilis
- Cinnamon Ferns – Osmunda cinnamomea L.
Shrub Update: We would love to offer shrubs, but realize they are a bit more difficult for a market sale. We hope to do a pre-order native shrub sale this fall if there’s enough interest!